The Cyprus Papers and the “other occupation”

The Cyprus Papers

25.08.2020 – The world’s eye is once again on Cyprus’s passport selling “golden visa” program. As an organization, we made our position clear about this policy.

Passport selling is the second treason of the Greek-speaking Cypriot political elite after 1974. Like the invitation to Turkey to invade half of Cyprus in 1974, we believe that today, criminals, Russians, and refugees are invited to invade the “free” areas of Cyprus.

As we all know, today Turkish-speaking Cypriots are facing social, cultural and economical oppression after the Turkish occupation. And because of the illegal settlers who today make 90 percent of the population of the occupied areas, the rest 10 percent Turkish-speaking Cypriots are giving a cultural survival struggle for all Cypriots under the shadows of the guns.

This situation is starting to be similar in the free areas because of the wrong visa and refugee policies of the Greek-speaking Cypriot administration who are controlling the Republic of Cyprus after the constitutional crises that happened in 1963.

Today, Cyprus has the highest number of refugees per capita of any EU country. Also, the ratio of numbers of the local and the foreign population of the island is at a tragic level comparing the other European countries and this is hurting Cypriots’ lives socially and culturally.

It is important to underline that, unlike the other modern states in the world, we provide “citizenship” to foreigners without any cultural requirements, not even asking them to learn Greek or Turkish, the official languages of the Republic of Cyprus.

As an organization, we believe that these are the results of the lack of capability of governing a country and of unsustainable economic policies of the same political elite that only looks after its interests. We see all these as a product of the mentality of seeing Cyprus as a “foster land” instead of a “homeland” and just an object which can be sold easily.

As Union of Cypriots, we will fight against this “other occupation” as we fight against Turkey’s occupation for both Greek-speaking and Turkish-speaking Cypriots. For the Cypriot children, the future, and the culture on this island!

Cyprus for Cypriots!
Union of Cypriots – Ένωσις Κυπρίων – Kıbrıslılar Birliği